The Council helps produce a Tourist Development Plan that outlines how the proceeds of the 4% Tourist Development Tax (TDT) will be used for 4 specified spending categories:
Destination and Marketing
The County has a contract with the St. Johns County Visitors and Convention Bureau (VCB), which is a not-for-profit corporation made up of more than 200 tourism businesses from around the county. As part of its agreement:
- The VCB is responsible for developing and implementing an annual marketing plan promoting St. Johns County worldwide as a desirable visitor destination.
- VCB partners also leverage the County’s marketing dollars through co-op advertising, trade-show participation and by providing complimentary or low-cost goods and services for visiting travel writers, tour operators, meeting planners and other travel industry professionals.
- Fiscal Year 2016 Destination & Marketing Budget
- VCB Promotional Tool Kit
Arts & Culture Management
Through Arts and Culture programs, TDC funds enhance the visitor experience and contribute to residents’ quality of life.
- Each year, approximately 40 cultural heritage and cultural arts programs including historic reenactments, museum programs and performing and visual arts programs are presented throughout the County with the financial assistance of the TDC.
A nine member Funding Panel is appointed by the Board of County Commissioners to review and make recommendations regarding the numerous requests received every year for funding.
Leisure / Recreational Development (Sporting Event Grants)
TDC programs under Leisure and Recreation are managed by the County’s Parks and Recreation Department and have included capital projects such as fishing piers, boat ramps and beach re-nourishment / maintenance.
- Sporting events such as the Triple Crown Sports baseball tournament and the St. Augustine Amateur golf tournament also receive TDC Category 3 funding.
- A TDC funded sports event grant program is administered by SJC Parks & Recreation Department. Guidelines and application.
- Fiscal Year 2016 Leisure and Recreation Budget
Administration, Special Uses and Special Events
Funds tourism related infrastructure improvements such as the St. Augustine Amphitheatre and the St. Johns County Convention Center, and provides financial support for certain significant special events like THE PLAYERS Championship and Nights of Lights, and funds Administrative and Operational expenses.
Additionally, funds from all three categories are used in some larger programs deemed important to the visitor experience or as tourism-generators including THE PLAYERS Championship golf tournament and the MPS Tennis Championships, both in Ponte Vedra Beach, the St. Johns County Convention Center at World Golf Village and the City of St. Augustine’s Visitor Information Center.