Solomon Calhoun Community Center & Pool
About the Center
The Solomon Calhoun Center is a 24,000 square foot community center located within walking distance of many residents of West Augustine. The facility includes a full-size gymnasium, swimming pool, splash park, community rooms, and in the future, sports fields.
Aquatics Programming provided by: St. Augustine Family YMCA
Pool Coordinator: Tia Craig
P: (904) 471-9622
- Daily – Child $1.00, Adult $2.00
- Multi-Use Cards (12 swims) – Child $8.00, Adult $13.00
- Annual Pass – $110.00
Winter Pool Schedule – November 16 - February 28, 2015
Fitness Swimming – Swimming for youth ages 8-15. Each participant must be able to pass the Green swim test. Sessions concentrate on stroke technique, conditioning, and fun and games. For fees, current schedule, and more information, please call (904) 471-9622.
Swimming Pool Programs – The Solomon Calhoun Community Center Pool is a Jr. Olympic sized swimming pool in addition a lesson pool with a splash area. We host lap swim, adult lap swim, recreation / open swim, swim lessons and:
Programs at the Calhoun Center will be offered by the St. Johns County Recreation and Parks Department, Northeast Florida Community Action Agency, and the Sheriff’s Office Weed and Seed Program.
West Augustine Athletic Association – The West Augustine Athletic Association is a volunteer based organization. They provide football, cheerleading, dance, and stepping. Future programs include flag football, basketball, softball & summer sports conditioning program. For more information on these programs go to www.leaguelineup.com.
About Solomon Calhoun
Solomon Calhoun was a long-time educator, mentor and coach in St. Johns County, and has the honor of the community center being named in his memory.
Born in 1905 in Alpine, Alabama, Calhoun grew up in Alpine and Talladega, before spending two years at Clark College in Atlanta, where he studied and played football. Calhoun then transferred to Florida A&M University, excelling both in the classroom and on the football field. Calhoun holds the distinction of being the first Florida A&M football player to be named first-team All American, an honor he received in 1934.
Calhoun also earned a bachelors degree in 1936 and a masters degree in 1955, both from Florida A&M University. He did additional study at Ohio State, Florida State and the University of Florida, and spent most of his life as an educator, teacher, coach, mentor and community leader in St. Johns County. In December of 1936 Calhoun married the former Linnie Lucinda Smith; together they reared and influenced many youths in the community too numerous to name. Calhoun passed away after a full and productive life in 1989.
Calhoun’s long resume includes the Hastings (FL) Vocational Training School, Excelsior High School (St. Augustine), Bunnell Carver High School (Nassau County), and Florida Memorial College. Calhoun also worked for the Florida East Coast Railroad Company, served as principal of Excelsior Elementary School, was director of Pupil Welfare in St. Johns County and owned the Chapin Street Grocery and Washeteria in St. Augustine.
Calhoun’s community service was vast, impacting many individuals throughout his lifetime. He was a charter member of the St. Johns County Chapter of the North East Florida Community Action Agency, was an active member and Sunday School teacher at St. Paul A.M.E. Church, and also served on the committee for the naming of the renovated Orange Street School Administration Building. He held memberships in the NAACP, Grand United Order of Oddfellows, San Sebastian and Elks Lodge, St. Johns County Retired Educators Association, National Retired Teachers Association, St. Johns County Mental Health Association, Venetian Club and Clique Social Club.
St. Johns County is pleased to honor this long-time educator and community activist with the name Solomon Calhoun Community Center. The name was initiated by residents, requested by the West Augustine Community Redevelopment Agency (CRA), supported by the St. Johns County Recreation Advisory Board and approved on April 7, 2009, by the St. Johns County Board of County Commissioners.