St. Johns County Naturalist Programs
AyoLane Halusky, County Naturalist | P: (904) 209-0348 | F: (904) 209-0321 | E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Activities at St. Johns County Parks may be scheduled for school trips, home school groups, Scouts, 4-H and other youth or adult groups. Park Naturalist Programs are free and open to the public. Contact AyoLane Halusky, County Naturalist at email@example.com or call (904) 209-0348 to schedule activities.
Events & Activities
Night Under the Stars
7:00 - 8:30 p.m. | March 5 | St. Johns County Fairgrounds
Join us and Ancient City Astronomy for a free Astronomy 101 class under the stars. Night Under the Stars Registration.
Zoom Event: Fire
3:30 - 4:30 p.m. | March 9 | Virtual
Join Parks Naturalist, Kelly Ussia, for an engaging presentation about the importance of fire and controlled burns. Zoom Event: Fire Registration.
9:00 - 11:00 a.m. | March 10 | Usina Boat Ramp
Bring your fishing gear and learn the ins and outs of saltwater fishing. Participants must have a Saltwater Shoreline License from Florida Fish and Wildlife. Saltwater Fishing Registration
6:00 - 8:30 p.m. | March 11 | Vaill Point Park
6:30 - 9:00 p.m. | April 1 | Canopy Shores Park
Learn about these fascinating creatures of the night and explore the park at sunset in search of our resident owls. Vaill Point Registration and Canopy Shores Registration.
Walk Through Time: 200 Years of History
5:00 - 6:30 p.m. | March 12 | Canopy Shores Park
5:30 - 6:30 p.m. | March 27 | Vaill Point Park
Celebrating St. Johns County's 200th anniversary, learn about the unique natural and cultural history of these beautiful parks. Canopy Shores Registration and Vaill Point Registration.
Nocatee Kayak Trips
2:00 - 5:00 p.m. | March 18 | Nocatee Kayak Launch
2:30 - 5:30 p.m. | March 19 | Nocatee Kayak Launch
4:30 - 7:30 p.m. | March 21 | Nocatee Kayak Launch
Explore the Intracoastal Waterway with St. Johns County Park Naturalists and learn about the unique history and diverse wildlife of this area. Register Here.
Owls and the Sunset Symphony
7:00 - 9:00 p.m. | March 25 | Beluthahatchee Park
Learn about owls and enjoy natureâ€™s symphony as you experience the transition from light to dark. Register Here.
Wild Edibles and Medicinal Plants Guided Walks
10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. | April 9 | Alpine Groves Park
Join Park Naturalist AyoLane Halusky and learn about wild edibles and medicinal plants found in our parks. Register Here.
To provide St. Johns County residents and visitors with opportunities to become better educated about the wilderness systems, historical relevance and sharing St. Johns County's Blue and Green-Ways areas along side the natural communities, mutually benefiting from each other.
To provide opportunities for the visitors and citizens of St. Johns County to experience and learn about our local natural and historical areas, creating a deeper connection while supporting sustainable communities that work with the Earth's natural systems.
Goals and Values
- Education: Offering programs that teach individuals and groups about our environment, flora and fauna, local history, and the interaction between natural systems and the developed world. These programs are designed to foster connections with the environment by dispelling fears and fables and empowering individuals with knowledge, safe wilderness practices, and positive experiences.
- Exploration: Come kayak and hike through our Green- and Blue-way spaces with a trained naturalist. Develop a life-long connection with the environment while exploring our passive parks and waterways. Offering group and individual tours, special events and programs. Public and private, day and overnight trips can be arranged seasonally.
- Preservation: As we come together as a community that understands the value of our natural areas, we can develop ways to promote, protect, and preserve local wilderness and waterways for future generations. The St. Johns County Naturalist Program will work with local conservation groups and volunteers in environmental programming, events, and clean-ups.
Programs & Activities
- Nature Walks and Programs
- Master Naturalist Classes
- Volunteer & Educational Opportunities
- Explore Blue-way and Green-way Trails
SJC Parks and Recreation – Where everybody plays.