St. Johns County Naturalist Programs
AyoLane Halusky, County Naturalist | P: (904) 209-0348 | F: (904) 209-0321 | E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Activities at St. Johns County Parks may be scheduled for school trips, home school groups, Scouts, 4-H and other youth or adult groups. Park Naturalist Programs are free and open to the public. Contact AyoLane Halusky, County Naturalist at email@example.com or call (904) 209-0348 to schedule activities.
Announcements, Events, Activities
St. Johns County Exploration Camp
New Summer Camp! Join the County's Park Naturalists at Exploration Camp, where children will have a week-long opportunity to explore the natural world. Campers will attend field trips, expand their understanding of our local ecosystems, sustainability, and how to collect and analyze data like a scientist. Campers will study the amazing wildlife in St. Johns County and participate in hands-on activities.
Camp is divided into two weeks based on age groups to ensure that the information taught is age appropriate. Children must have completed kindergarten to be eligible for this program.
- July 24 - 28 for ages 5 - 8 (must have completed kindergarten)
- July 31 - August 4 for ages 9 -12
Location & Registration
St. Johns County Exploration Camp will be at Ketterlinus Gym, 60 Orange St., in downtown St. Augustine from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Camp fee is $100 per camper and registration is first come first serve. Contact Kelly Ussia at 904.209.0335 or firstname.lastname@example.org to register. Exploration Camp Registration Form
Sunset Dolphin Walk – Wednesday August 9 & Thursday August 10
Time: 7:00 p.m.
Where: Vilano Beach, 2750 Anahma Dr., Vilano, FL 32084
Details: St. Johns County Parks and Recreation is excited to announce that we have partnered with Marineland Dolphin Adventure to offer a FREE beach walk! Staff will guide participants on a beach walk while looking for dolphins and enjoying the sunset over the city of St. Augustine. During the walk you will get to learn all about dolphin anatomy and behavior, as well as other marine species.
More Information / Registration: Please contact Kelly Ussia at 904-209-0335 or email@example.com. To set up a reservation, please include a phone number, email address, and the number in your party.
Riverdale Sunset Kayak Tour – Friday, August 11, Saturday, August 12, & Sunday, August 13
Time: 5:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
Where: Riverdale Park Boat Ramp, 981 CR 13, Fruit Cove, FL 32095
Details: Come explore the river with St. Johns County Naturalists. Participants will paddle the St. Johns River and learn about the unique history and diverse wildlife of the area. At the end of the tour participants will get to experience a beautiful sunset on the water.
Cost: The fee for this guided trip is $20 per person for participants brining their own kayak, and $40 per person for participants using a county kayak.
More Information / Registration: Please contact Kelly Ussia at firstname.lastname@example.org or (904) 209-0335. When setting up a reservation please include a phone number, email, date of the trip you would like to attend, and if you will be using a county kayak.
Sunset Bird Language – Thursday, August 17 & Friday, August 18
Time: 6:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Where: Vaill Point Park, 630 Vaill Point Rd., St. Augustine, FL 32086
Details: Have you ever wondered what the birds do at dusk? Join St. Johns County Naturalist, AyoLane Halusky, to explore the park through the language of the birds. Participants will learn about bird language as well as view a spectacular sunset over Moultrie Creek for FREE.
More Information / Registration: Please contact AyoLane Halusky at (904) 209-0348 or email@example.com. When setting up a reservation please include a phone number, email address, and the number in your party.
ACA Kayak Quickstart Course – Saturday, August 26
Time: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Where: Trout Creek Park, 6795 Collier Road, St. Augustine, FL 32092
Details: The course will focus on the fundamentals of kayaking including kayak designs, trip planning, and water safety. In addition, participants will get the opportunity to learn and practice basic paddle strokes and rescue techniques. The course will be led by two Level 2 Certified ACA instructors.
Cost: $80 per Participant
More Information / Registration: Please contact Kelly Ussia at 904.209.0335 or firstname.lastname@example.org. When setting up a reservation please include a phone number, email, and if you will be using a county kayak.
To provide St. Johns County residents and visitors with opportunities to become better educated about the wilderness systems, historical relevance and sharing St. Johns County's Blue and Green-Ways areas along side the natural communities, mutually benefiting from each other.
To provide opportunities for the visitors and citizens of St. Johns County to experience and learn about our local natural and historical areas, creating a deeper connection while supporting sustainable communities that work with the Earth's natural systems.
Goals and Values
- Education: Offering programs that teach individuals and groups about our environment, flora and fauna, local history, and the interaction between natural systems and the developed world. These programs are designed to foster connections with the environment by dispelling fears and fables and empowering individuals with knowledge, safe wilderness practices, and positive experiences.
- Exploration: Come kayak and hike through our Green- and Blue-way spaces with a trained naturalist. Develop a life-long connection with the environment while exploring our passive parks and waterways. Offering group and individual tours, special events and programs. Public and private, day and overnight trips can be arranged seasonally.
- Preservation: As we come together as a community that understands the value of our natural areas, we can develop ways to promote, protect, and preserve local wilderness and waterways for future generations. The St. Johns County Naturalist Program will work with local conservation groups and volunteers in environmental programming, events, and clean-ups.
Programs & Activities
- Nature Walks and Programs
- Master Naturalist Classes
- Volunteer & Educational Opportunities
- Explore Blue-way and Green-way Trails
SJC Parks and Recreation – Where everybody plays